Gary R, list:

I shouldn’t simply be flip.

I should try to figure out what Gary R’s intention was in forwarding that
article.

The question of “What is…” the scientific method is an old one.

There aren’t any novel observations in that nytimes article to warrant
taking the author any more seriously than others who have said the same
thing.

But what would Peirce say the scientific method is?

In fact, he does say.  He says it in different ways.  So, what does he say?

On the other hand, terms are used differently, which isn’t to say that
they’re used differently different every time.  There is regularity to the
different ways terms are interchanged.  For instance, see how “science” is
used in the following:

“Our description of the character of the *Politics* is manifestly
provisional.  “Common sense” as used in this description is understood in
contradistinction to “science”, i.e. primarily modern natural science, and
therewith presupposes “science” whereas the *Politics* itself does not
presuppose “science.”  We shall first attempt to reach a more adequate
understanding of the *Politics* by considering the objections to which our
contention is exposed.”

~Leo Strauss, The City and Man

There are double meanings for other terms that belong in this conversation
too, such as *justice* and *good *(c.f., Strauss, Benardete, *Republic*,
*Symposium*).

Best,
Jerry R