Edwina, list,

The reference you said you’d look up later is from “Some Consequences of Four
Incapacities” (1868, CP 5.264-317), W2:212, EP1:29:

[[ 2. The same formalism appears in the Cartesian criterion, which amounts to
this: “Whatever I am clearly convinced of, is true.” If I were really
convinced, I should have done with reasoning, and should require no test of
certainty. But thus to make single individuals absolute judges of truth is most
pernicious. The result is that metaphysicians will all agree that metaphysics
has reached a pitch of certainty far beyond that of the physical sciences;—only
they can agree upon nothing else. In sciences in which men come to agreement,
when a theory has been broached, it is considered to be on probation until this
agreement is reached. After it is reached, the question of certainty becomes an
idle one, because there is no one left who doubts it. We individually cannot
reasonably hope to attain the ultimate philosophy which we pursue; we can only
seek it, therefore, for the community of philosophers. Hence, if disciplined
and candid minds carefully examine a theory and refuse to accept it, this ought
to create doubts in the mind of the author of the theory himself. ]]

I’m having a problem with your hypothesis that “the Immediate Object and the
Immediate Interpretant are internal, i.e., subjective.” Peirce makes it pretty
clear that they are internal to the sign in a way that the dynamic object and
interpretant are not; but you seem to be conflating this with the idea that
they are internal to the “individual site-of-semiosis.” An individual bodymind
may well be a sign, but it’s not that sign, the sign (probably a proposition)
which has an immediate object and interpretant which are internal to itself.
For that sign, it does not make sense to speak of “input from internal
sources.” Whatever comes from inside is not “input.” (Actually I have a problem
with your whole input-output model, but that’s another story.)

Gary f.

} Instead of noblemen, let us have noble villages of men. [Thoreau] {

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway