Jeff, list - Hmm - Perhaps I'm digging deeper into misunderstanding you ..but
it seems to me that you are indeed referring to the separation of mind and
matter - after all, the 'sharp distinction between subject and object' and
'self and other' in our thought does seem, to me at least, a situation where
the Subject Agent thinks of itself, never mind experiences itself,  as
differentiated from the external [material] Object. So, you are also referring
to, I think [?], the reality of Secondness, but more, to the awareness of this
reality.

I'm not sure that such a differentation between subject and object is an action
of being 'torn asunder' - after all, material particulate reality does
necessarily 'instantiate' matter into discrete units. No Big Bad Agent did
this! And - This isn't a figment of our imagination! Energy couldn't exist as
matter in our universe if we denied the differentiation of Secondness; it would
entropically dissipate to the lowest common denominator.  Chemical compounds
would be impossible without such differentiation; cellular development would be
impossible without such differentiation between self and other. And most
certainly, thought is involved in such differentiation. [see 4.551].

I'm not sure that we humans should try to overcome this basic material reality.
I can't, and don't see why, I should imagine the rejection of Secondness. [as
Hegel did]. Again- perhaps I'm misreading you.

The problem that our species has, I think, is due to the fact that we 'live in
two worlds, fact and fiction' - and can have a very difficult time separating
the two. So- when we acknowledge the fact of a disease, we can come up with the
fiction that it is due to that old witch on the hill. Or to our own 'being
sinful' . Or..... Other species without this rampant capacity for imagination
don't fall into such traps - which, considering the various wars of our
species, can indeed by apocalyptic. BUT - at the same time, this imaginative
capacity enables us to eventually deny that it's 'due to the  witch', and
develop a vaccine or whatever. It's a difficult burden - to have the
capacity-to-imagine.

Edwina