Dear list:

What you say sounds all well and good but I’m confused.

In a description for the abductive process, an inadequate version can be
given:

“The grass is wet, therefore, it must have rained last night.

For *if *it rained last night, *then* the grass ought to be wet.”

So, if

“Knowledge is the object of our inquiry, and men do not think they know a
thing till they have grasped the 'why' of it (which is to grasp its primary
cause);”

then my question is ‘Why the Reality of God’ and not “lawn is wet”?

Also, what does this have to do with not only Truth-searching, but
Truth-finding?

That is, if Truth is, as Edwina says:

“…is it rather the case that this semiosis activity must continue on, for
some time *until that I-O relation does indeed correlate with the R-O
Relation?  Isn't this what Peirce meant by eventually arriving at the
truth?”*

then as Jon says, the hypothesis or the proposition should matter.

So, what is O?  What is R?  What is I?

That is, how can the R-O relation meet the I-O without the premisses?

I think without this, there is no getting at the Truth or Reality of
things, since

“The opinion which is fated to be ultimately agreed to by all who
investigate, is what we mean by the truth, and the object represented in
this opinion is the real. That is the way I would explain reality”.

I believe this, irrespective of the attitude I adopt, since it is the
method, which also must be adopted.  For without a method, then we’re right
back to arguing with no course for how to determine a good hypothesis from
a bad one.

Best,

Jerry Rhee