Jeff, List:

JD:  I believe that all of Peirce's tripartite distinctions between the
classes of signs in the 66-fold system are based on the division between
possibles, existents and necessitants.

That is certainly the dominant interpretation.  I only started questioning
it because Peirce explicitly situated Possibles, Existents, and
Necessitants in the three Universes in 1908; and two years earlier, he
seemed to indicate that Universes only contain Subjects, while Categories
only contain Predicates (including relations).  However, I now notice that
he added the caveat that whether this is correct "is a question for careful
study" (CP 4.545), and then proceeded to present a long and complicated
analysis of propositions to explain why he found it *unsatisfactory *to
view Universes as "receptacles of the Subjects alone" (CP 4.548).  So I am
back to being confused about the distinction (if there is one) between
Universes and Categories, especially since a predicate can be turned into a
subject by hypostatic abstraction.

JD:  As such, I agree with Irwin Lieb ...

Ah, I guess this reference to Lieb is what you meant in the other thread.

Thanks,

Jon