List, Jon:

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Jerry C., List:
>
> JC:  Would it be fair to say that you seek to understand how CSP’s writings
> relate to scientific causality?
>
> By "scientific causality," do you mean efficient causality (i.e., brute
> reactions), final causality (i.e., laws of nature), both, or something else
> altogether?

Scientific causality is not so constrained as your question suggests.
Both chemical engr. and bio-engr. are primarily concerned with establishing
initial  material conditions such that the internally generated dynamics of
matter led to a reproducible “product” (that meets specifications, etc.).  That
is, material causality takes precedence.
“Scaling up” demands finding initial conditions that “work”, that is ,
pragmatic dynamic conditions for parameters and variables.

(BTW, I worked as an engr. tech. while putting myself through school.  After
that experience, I switched to science.  Rather different perspectives, to be
sure.)

> JC:  I think it is fair to ask if Jon’s views on engineering wrt CSP writings
> are typical of modern engineering disciplines, such as chemical engineering
> and molecular-biological engineering in which specific causal processes must
> be arranged from the body of scientific information (chemical / biological)
> available.
>
> My discipline is structural engineering, in which most of the relevant causal
> processes and corresponding diagrammatic representational system rules are
> quite well-established.  I would welcome feedback on whether and how my
> "logic of ingenuity" thesis is applicable to other fields of engineering,
> especially those in which this is not (yet) the case.

My comment would be that you should note that you are constraining your logical
case to your profession.  And, I would recommend further reading on the concept
of “creativity” and the interrelationships among the disciplines such that your
profession is placed in perspective.

Generally, CSP sought to speak in great generality without noting the natural
limitations of science. Yet, he also sought to relate to the uniqueness of
“sin-sign”.  This tension appears to lead to loss of credibility among many
philosophical and scientific  “non-believers”.

Cheers
Jerry