Jon, Edwina, List,

I think that there are in fact several, perhaps many ways of being
Christian, from more exoteric, traditional positions (doctrinaire,
dogmatic, Bible centered, etc.) to those considerably less so, that is,
more esoteric positions (mystical in, for example, the tradition of
Eckhard, such as the Cosmic Christ idea as Matthew Fox has elucidated it)

Be that as it may, if we are to have a list discussion on this religious
topic I would hope that it would center on (1) whether or not Peirce was in
fact a Christian (my own view is that he was) and, if so, (2) what sort of
a Christian he was (as I've already commented in another thread, I think
that he was a non-traditional Christian--he once referred to his views as
buddheo-Christian, but that, I believe, should be taken in context).

I should add that I do not necessarily think that it would be productive to
begin such a discussion until at least after we've more or less completed
the discussion of Peirce's cosmological ideas, which, as Jon suggested
correctly, I believe, ought precede the discussion of (his) religious
views. But, in any event, it seems to me important that we more or less
restrict such a discussion to* Peirce's religious views,* and that it would
definitely be advantageous to change the Subject line if and when we begin
such a discussion.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]