> On Oct 30, 2016, at 8:37 AM, jerry_lr_chand...@me.com wrote:
>
> To what extend did Spinoza’s effort to express meta-physics in terms of
> Euclid’s geometrical mathematics, excite CSP to express his meta-physics in
> terms of continuous mathematics and graph theory (as a dualism between
> physical thought and chemical thought, or as a dualism between idealism and
> realism)?

Spinoza seemed focused primarily on deductive logic. (Which given the times
wasn’t unsurprising - especially with The Elements as his template) However
given Peirce’s use of abduction and induction.

The paper touches upon this arguing that Spinoza’s axioms and definitions are
the result of induction (and one might presume abduction). It seems that this
lower level is what Peirce found so valuable. Peirce also touches on Spinoza’s
notion of the Absolute, which some think he picked up from the Jewish notions
out of the Kabbalah and related movements. How much Spinoza was actually
influenced by Kabbalism, especially the 12 century spanish forms, I couldn’t
say. I know in the Continental Tradition you tend to have a lot of interpreters
who read him not as caught up in deductive mathematics but a skeptic. That is
they read him as breaking with the Rationalist tradition rather than one of the
greatest manifestations of the movement. (Badiou is an obvious example here
although there are many)

I’ve read several papers arguing that Cantor’s set theory was influenced by
Spinoza along with a few other influences. (I’m not sure I buy the claims of
Kabbalistic influence) Cantor is the key figure in Continental Philosophy tying
Spinoza to this skepticism and in many ways it ends up being tied to a doctrine
of continuity.

Peirce famously doesn’t quite develop his continuum the way Cantor does but
there are obvious affinities. I do suspect that much like Cantor was influenced
by Spinoza so too was Peirce in this regard.

I’d add getting back to neoPlatonism that much of the Kabbalistic thinking both
in 12th century Spain but also contemporary with Spinoza is basically just a
particular strain of neoPlatonism. It’s useful since particularly the Spanish
Kabbalists interpreted God not as immutable but affected by the actions of
humans. (Indeed this is a major aspect to their thought which puts them quite
at odds with the type of neoPlatonism typical in Christianity where God was
unchangeable.)

For Peirce God — or at least the aspect of God discussed in the NA — is also
influenced. It has more of an affinity to the God of process theology than the
God of Augustine. Yet a better way of thinking of this might be through this
Cantor like take on Spinoza.