Jon S, Gary R, List,

Given our interest in providing a clearer meaning for the conceptions of order
and Super-order, I think that these passages might be helpful.

Any proposition whatever concerning the order of Nature must touch more or less
upon religion. In our day, belief, even in these matters, depends more and more
upon the observation of facts. If a remarkable and universal orderliness be
found in the universe, there must be some cause for this regularity, and
science has to consider what hypotheses might account for the phenomenon. One
way of accounting for it, certainly, would be to suppose that the world is
ordered by a superior power. But if there is nothing in the universal
subjection of phenomena to laws, nor in the character of those laws themselves
(as being benevolent, beautiful, economical, etc.), which goes to prove the
existence of a governor of the universe, it is hardly to be anticipated that
any other sort of evidence will be found to weigh very much with minds
emancipated from the tyranny of tradition. (CP 6.395)

And then, two paragraphs later:

If we could find out any general characteristic of the universe, any mannerism
in the ways of Nature, any law everywhere applicable and universally valid,
such a discovery would be of such singular assistance to us in all our future
reasoning that it would deserve a place almost at the head of the principles of
logic. On the other hand, if it can be shown that there is nothing of the sort
to find out, but that every discoverable regularity is of limited range, this
again will be of logical importance. What sort of a conception we ought to have
of the universe, how to think of the ensemble of things, is a fundamental
problem in the theory of reasoning. (CP 6.397)

So, how should we "think of the ensemble of things"? Peirce provides the
definition for "ensemble" in the Century Dictionary. In the second definition
of the term, he characterizes the mathematical use of the conception. In that
definition, he makes a distinction between an ensemble of the first genus, the
second genus, and a tout ensemble. It is clear, I think, that he is talking
about a tout ensemble at 6.397. What is more, I believe that he is talking
about a tout ensemble in RLT, when he puts the word in italics on page 259. How
should we think of order and Super-order as they are applied to each of these
three sorts of ensembles?

He explicitly uses "tout ensemble" in the following passage:

The division of modes of Being needs, for our purposes, to be carried a
little further. A feeling so long as it remains a mere feeling is absolutely
simple. For if it had parts, those parts would be something different from
the whole, in the presence of which the being of the whole would consist.
Consequently, the being of the feeling would consist of something beside
itself, and in a relation. Thus it would violate the definition of feeling as
that mode of consciousness whose being lies wholly in itself and not in any
relation to anything else. In short, a pure feeling can be nothing but the
total unanalyzed impression of the tout ensemble of consciousness. Such a mode
of being may be called simple monadic Being. CP 6.345

Given the fact that Peirce draws this meaning of "tout ensemble" from
mathematics, I'm wondering if some examples from topology, projective geometry
or metrical geometry might help to clarify the differences between a tout
ensemble and ensembles of the first and second genus. Peirce offers the example
of Desargues' theory of Involution and its use in the 6 point theorem on page
245. How does the conception of an ensemble apply in this case where we are
looking at the intersection of these rays as they are projected from their
origins at Q and R?

The upshot of this example is made clearer when he says that Cayley showed that
the whole of geometrical metric is but a special problem in geometrical optic.
The point Peirce is making is that the development of the conception of a
projective absolute as a locus in space was central for thinking about the
character of projective space as a whole--i.e., as a tout ensemble. Taken as a
whole, the topological character of the space is something that we study by a
process of decomposition. That is, we cut it up and see how the parts are
connected. In this way, we come to see what Listing numbers are for the
Chorisis, Cyclosis, Periphraxis and Immensity of such a space. The Periphraxis
and Immensity, I take it, are especially important in understanding the
character of the tout ensemble of a projective space. He says that the
Periphraxis of perspective space is 1, and that the Immensity of any figure in
our space is 0, except for the entirety of space itself, for which the
Immensity is 1.

These kinds of exercises in mathematics are essential, I believe, for
understanding the points he is illustrating using the diagram involving
blackboard on pages 261-3. How might we draw them out?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy