List, Jon S., Gary R.,

Gary R., Jon S., and I began discussing the subject of this thread a few days ago off-list, and we've agreed that the off-list parts should be brought on-list. Below is the part that preceded the thread's appearance at peirce-l. Next, I'll send the peirce-l thread plus an off-list reply that I made, and Jon S. can add his off-list reply, then I'll add my next one, etc.

Best, Ben