> On Mar 27, 2017, at 9:59 AM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> Therefore, the knowable universe is limited to everything we can
> imagine, and mathematics can analyze anything we can imagine.
> (This point is independent of the nominalist-realist debate.)

There’s a bit to unpack there - most particularly who the “we” is in that
sentence. I think Peirce rejects the idea of the unknowable with his rejection
of Kant’s thing-in-itself. Yet he also ties this to the ideal community of
inquirers rather than any particular person. Put simply while the universe is
knowable and therefore imaginable it doesn’t follow that it is imaginable for
any finite group of people.

As you note this is also separate from the nominalist debate since a nominalist
can agree with this.