Ah yes Edwina, now I remember… we had this conversation before… perhaps we
should quit while we are still friends J

But briefly, should others here be interested in exploring where I’m coming
from, my reasoning is along the lines of Norman Doidge’s ideas on neural
plasticity, and how experience wires the brain. Experiences are intercepted by
bodies, and it is at the interface between body and experience that the brain
is wired. There is no genetic blueprint to account for the brain’s functional
specializations. The brain is a “bucket of bugs” where neurons/glia are free to
assemble themselves in order to accommodate experiences. Much like how a city
of people assemble themselves in order to accommodate the city-culture’s
experiences. The functional specializations of a city (zones – residential,
commercial, industrial, etc) are my metaphor for the functional specializations
in the brain (cerebellum, visual cortex, medulla, etc). But all this is
outlined in greater detail in my Biosemiotics journal article (Springer).

The study of feral children relates directly… feral children are not “brain
damaged” – their brains are wired perfectly, following exposure to unique
experiences, in order to accommodate those unique experiences. The ideas of
Tomasz Szasz (The Myth of Mental Illness) also relate.

The principle target of my criticism is the widely accepted genocentric notion,
in the mainstream, of “instinct”. Darwinism, especially Neo-Darwinism, has
imposed on our cultural narrative this self-consistent “explanation” for
behavior grounded in instinct. It is accepted as a given. Their method of
analysis relies on confirmation bias to prove it. “Oh cats behave like cats
because instinct, dontcha know?” “It’s programmed into the genes, dumbass.”
“Dogs bark because instinct, silly.”  Genocentrism… it’s just not how life
works… not by a long shot.

Cheers
sj