Helmut, John, List ...

I'll answer Helmut's question first as I can think of something
right off to say about it, whereas JFS and I have had this same
discussion every 3 or 4 years for going on the last 20 and I'll
need a while to see if I can think of anything new to say on it.

<TL;DR>

I confess I have never found going on about Firstness Secondness Thirdness
all that useful in any practical situation.  Firstness means one has some
monadic predicate in mind as relevant to a phenomenon, problem, or other
subject matter, Secondness means one has a dyadic relation in mind to
the same end, and Thirdness means one has a triadic relation in mind
as bearing on the situation at hand.  After that one can consider
the fine points of generic versus degenerate cases, and that is
all well and good, but until you venture to say exactly *which*
monadic, dyadic, or triadic predicate you have in mind, you
haven't really said that much at all.

</TL;DR>

What I really think is interesting in all this is the fact that Peirce,
from 1865 on, maintains in the background of his thought the idea that
information is the solid substance born by concepts and symbols, while
comprehension and extension are its complementary aspects, its shadows.

I have been studying this integration of comprehension and extension
in the form of information for quite a while, and there is my set of
excerpts and comments on this page:

Information = Comprehension × Extension
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

But I just ran across a shorter sketch of the main ideas
that I must have begun some time ago but not yet finished:

Peirce's Logic Of Information
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Peirce%27s_Logic_Of_Information

It has the advantage of having a nicely self-explanatory figure right up front.
At any rate, try taking a look at that ...

Regards,

Jon

--

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/