Gary F, John S, List,

Here are a few quick observations about the points Gary F is making about the
passage from the 1909 letter to James:

1.  The last class of dyadic relation that Peirce considers in "The Logic of
Mathematics;..." is that of the productive or poietical dyad (CP 1.468) . In
this type of dyadic relation, the existence of the patient is dependent on the

agent; e.g., mother produces son. As such, this type of relation involves a
kind of creation of one thing by another. Do you think that this dyadic kind of
productive relation is involved--in some way--in process in virtue of which
something is created in the mind of the interpreter? More generally, do you
think that genuinely triadic forms of creation involve such dyadic kinds of
production of one thing by another? My hunch is that the answer is "yes" in
both cases. If you disagree, I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why.

2. It is one thing to say that we should not think of “determination” as a
dyadic action of sign upon interpretant (or upon mind) at all, and saying that
we should not think of the process as solely a matter of such dyadic action.
Are you advocating one of these options? Given all of the different classes of
dyadic relations that Peirce considers, I tend to think that the latter way of
putting the matter is closer to what Peirce is suggesting.

3. Gary F suggests that we should not think of the determination of sign by
object as a fait accompli or event preceding the determination of interpretant
by sign. What he goes on to say about events in a sequence would seem to apply
to anything that takes places over the course of time. On Peirce's account, the
change of things over the course of time is itself a process that involves a
general law--where that law has a monadic, dyadic and a triadic clause. As
such, any conception of an event as a discrete and separate part of time is an
incomplete view on the matter--and this applies to processes that involve the
interpretation of signs in minds as well as those that don't appear to have
that character.

4. Providing a clearer definition of the relation "A determines B after..." is
one of the tasks that Peirce says (in MS 612) that we need to take up in order
to have a clearer understanding of determination. I wonder why this relation of
determination of one being determined after another seemed to him to be so
important.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor