John and list,

Peirce’s “Improvement on the Gamma Graphs” (CP 4.573-84) in indeed a
fascinating read; Frederik Stjernfelt comments on it extensively in Chapter 8
of Natural Propositions. But according to Don Roberts (1973, p.89), it’s from
the spring of 1906, and preceded the drafts of the “Prolegomena”, which was
published later in that year. You seem to be reversing that chronology by
including it with “further developments” in the EGs after the Prolegomena.
Anyway, what happened to EGs after 1906 is not at all clear to me, although
I’ve worked my way through the relevant papers on your site. Given the central
role Peirce wanted them to play in his “apology for pragmaticism,” I’m still
trying to understand this, and your list doesn’t give me many clues.

Roberts (p.92) describes the “Prolegomena” as “Peirce’s last full scale
revision of EG,” and notes that the “tinctures” did not really solve the
problems with representing modal logic that Peirce thought he had solved in the
spring of 1906. Some of his later comments on the “Prolegomena” (included in
http://www.gnusystems.ca/ProlegomPrag.htm) are quite critical of it — one even
refers to the “tinctures” and “heraldry” as “nonsensical” — but they don’t
really say how these problems can be solved diagrammatically. Are you saying
that his later manuscripts did solve these problems, or that Peirce
“simplified” his system of EGs by abandoning further development of the Gamma
graphs and reverting to a version of the Beta?

For me, these questions have large implications for Peirce’s late semiotics,
phaneroscopy, Synechism, pragmaticism and metaphysics (as he suggested at the
end of his “Improvement on the Gamma Graphs” talk (CP 4.584). I have to confess
that for me, the mapping back and forth between EGs and other diagrammatic or
algebraic systems doesn’t throw any light on those implications. I’d appreciate
any help you (or anyone) can give toward clarifying them.

I’m also curious as to what people think of my “Rhematics” post
(http://gnusystems.ca/wp/2017/05/rhematics/) and Gary Richmond’s comment on it,
as I have a follow-up in mind …

Gary f.