As per how the Wolpert quote ought to lead, please try a google search for:
The size of embryonic fields is, surprisingly, usually less than 50 cells
in any direction.

And if you're concerned of where actually the ambiguity lies, I'd recommend
looking up bicoid or wnt in morphogenesis.

Best,
Jerry R