btw, I was also trying to call attention to the difficult problem of sizing
the field, for different, complex physical/mechanical and chemical
interactions operate across large domains.  It's hard to imagine a complete
theory of pattern formation involving a field size of a whole, entire
vertebrate embryo.  a better approach would be to treat individual, growing
fields of proper size, ~ 500um.