Peircers,

A puzzle in Peirce I have puzzled over for as long as I can remember
involves the relationship between his theory of signs, beginning with
the typology of icons, indices, and symbols, and his theory of inquiry,
founded on the three inferences of abduction, induction, and deduction.
I have long felt the resolution would lie in his theory of information,
as epitomized in the formula “Information = Comprehension × Extension”.

Last summer looked like a good time to make another foray into the forest,
which I had begun in a series of selections from and comments on Peirce's
“Logic of Science” Lectures at Harvard and the Lowell Institute (1865–66).

There's a working draft of those selections and comments here:

Information = Comprehension × Extension
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

I serialized the selections and comments on my blog as I worked through them.

Introductory Comment
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/18/information-comprehension-x-extension/

(First Six) Selections from Peirce's Lectures
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/19/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-1/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/19/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-2/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/20/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-3/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/21/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-4/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/22/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-5/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/22/information-comprehension-x-extension-%e2%80%a2-selection-6/

By September I had come to what I imagined was a new understanding of
the relationship between the types of signs and the types of inference,
at which time I put the whole matter away to cool, it being far harder
to judge a new idea when it's hot.  At any rate, I think a year is long
enough to gain a cool eye or two, so I'll try sharing the new improved
analysis on the List.

Regards,

Jon

--