On 6/27/2017 6:08 PM, Jerry Rhee wrote:
Thanks for making what might otherwise appear confusing and complex, clear and simple.

I hope I didn't make it too clear and simple -- because I agree with
Peirce (and with modern lexicographers) that word senses are definitely
not clear and simple.  I was simply pointing out some issues that Peirce
had discussed in various ways.  In particular, most of the ways of using
a proposition happen can be described by nominalized verbs.

In _How to do things with words_, Austin said more about such issues:
http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:2271128:3/component/escidoc:2271430/austin_1962_how-to-do-things-with-words.pdf

For good observations by modern lexicographers (Sue Atkins and
Adam Kilgarriff), see the article "I don't believe in word senses":
https://www.sketchengine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/I_dont_believe_1997.pdf