List,

For the development of his argument, probably the crucial sentence here is the
one Peirce repeats almost verbatim: “The very being of the General, of Reason,
consists in its governing individual events.” The mode of being of an
individual event, of course, is Secondness, so Reason in this very broad
Peircean sense is pretty much synonymous with Thirdness, defined as “that whose
being consists in its bringing about a secondness” (EP2:267). It’s this Reason
(insofar as we can comprehend it) that Peirce proposes to investigate with his
Existential Graphs, by analyzing it as a process into its simplest steps.

But the most startling assertion here, for me anyway, comes at the end of the
passage. I never would have guessed that “what we mean by “not” is “every
proposition would be true if it were.” By “not hard” we mean “every proposition
would be true if it were hard.” I’ve been using the word “not” for about 70
years, and it never occurred to me that what I meant by it was “every
proposition would be true if it were.” It strikes me as a very complicated way
of saying “not” — but as we’ll see in his next lecture, this is one of the key
ideas behind the design of Existential Graphs, which Peirce considered his
greatest contribution to logic (and thus to ethics, of which logic is a special
case). If one of the logicians aboard this trip through the Lowell Lectures
could explain that idea in a way that’s easier for intuition to grasp, I’d
appreciate it!

Gary f.