From: John F Sowa [mailto:s...@bestweb.net]
Sent: 9-Oct-17 16:38
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 1.8

On 10/9/2017 2:28 PM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
> I never would have guessed that “what we mean by “/not/” is “every
> proposition would be true if it were.”

That comment can only be true if there is no middle option -- i.e., a stone is
either hard or not hard AND there is no possibility of being neither hard nor
not hard.

 From http://www.digitalpeirce.fee.unicamp.br/lane/p-trilan.htm
> Charles Peirce was the first logician to define logical operators for
> a many-valued system of logic.[1] In February 1909, on three pages of
> a notebook in which he recorded his thoughts on logic (MS 339)

Peirce was probably troubled by that comment himself.  Or perhaps somebody who
attended the lecture asked a question that caused Peirce to rethink the issue
for 3-valued logic.

In fact, that question may have puzzled the editors -- and that's why they did
not publish the final paragraph in the CP.

It's significant that Peirce wrote the Lowell lectures in 1903 but didn't write
the truth tables for 3-valued logic until 1909.
He may have been thinking about the issue for some time, but hadn't worked out
the details.