John, list,

My comment wasn't referring to the chronological order of these developments
in Peirce's work, but still, I put my point badly. "Grow" is the wrong word.

What I had in mind was that "the theory of the advancement of knowledge is
not possible until the logician has first examined all the different
elementary modes of getting at truth"; and "before it is possible to enter
upon this business in any rational way, the first thing that is necessary is
to examine thoroughly all the ways in which thought can be expressed"; and
"this introductory part of logic is nothing but an analysis of what kinds of
signs are absolutely essential to the embodiment of thought"; and the final
step back to the absolute basics, as it were, is the analysis not only of
signs, but of all phenomena, into their essential elements, the "formal
elements of the phaneron."

The chronological order is different; Peirce was working on logic since the
age of 12; his main focus in the early 1890s was phenomenology, although he
didn't call it that until 1902; and his main work on semeiotic analysis was
done in 1903-08. But in his classification of sciences, as your diagram
shows, phenomenology is the first division of philosophy, followed by the
normative sciences, including logic (with its own three divisions).

The main reason I mention this 'quest for the elementary' is that I'm
looking ahead to the first sentence of Lowell 2, which is: "Let us take up
the subject of necessary reasoning, mathematical reasoning, with a view to
making out what its elementary steps are and how they are put together."
Peirce consistently introduced his graphs with a similar statement of their
purpose, which was not to facilitate reasoning but to analyze it into its
simplest and smallest steps. This is consistent with his remark that EGs
expressed "the atoms and molecules of logic"; and I see this as analogous to
his work in semiotic and phenomenology, especially in this period around
1903.

Gary f.