John S, Gary F, List,

"His study of logic certainly does not grow out of phenomenology."

I tend to think that the conceptual point Gary F has made about the study of
the elements of the phenomena we might observe in common experience does apply
to the chronological development of Peirce's work in logic--including the
development of both the mathematical systems of logic and as well as the
normative theory of logic.

The simple fact that Peirce didn't use the term "phenomenology" to classify
this area of inquiry as a separate branch of philosophy in his early work
doesn't negate the fact that Peirce was engaged in the careful study of the
phenomena from early on in the early Harvard and Lowell lectures of 1865-6 and
in "On a New List of the Categories".

This seems to be well supported by the point John makes next:  "But I would
guess that his experience in math, logic, and science guided the ways he
thought about everything -- including elements."

It was not just the results of Peirce's inquiries in math, logic and science
that guided the way he thought. Rather, the examination of the relations
involved in using diagrams to reason about questions in math and logic served
as a basis for his conclusions about the elemental categories of all
experience--and tended to confirm his earlier analyses of the elements
involved, for instance, in our common experience of such things as spatiality,
temporality, and the growth of our understanding.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy