Mike, list,

Mike wrote:  I thank Gary R. for starting this thread.

In point of fact, Jon Alan Schmidt started the thread.

However, I hope my messages--some rather long, I'm afraid--helped
contribute to a better understanding of existence/reality and the
categories or at least some of the challenged surrounding those topics. I
myself have a lot to think about as the result of the posts of a number of
contributors to the discussion including you.

The snippet Gary F offered today on the need for patience in studying the
categories ought be, I think, applied to many if not all of the discussions
here. In a section on the need for Patience, Tolerance, and Optimism on the
peirce-l page at Arisbe Joe Ransdell quoted the Bhagavad Gita: "Do not work
for the fruits of your action."

Here's the entire section:
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/PEIRCE-L/PEIRCE-L.HTM

NEED FOR PATIENCE, TOLERANCE, OPTIMISM
------------------------------

If you are already acquainted with list-based communication of this sort
then you are aware that it is in some ways importantly unlike face-to-face
group discussion, and the effective use of this medium requires the
cultivation of attitudes appropriate to much looser patterns of
communicational responsiveness and of a kind of patience and tolerance that
may at first seem unnatural (especially on those occasions when you post
something and no one seems interested in responding at all!).

      But is it unnatural? It is the custom of the Huicholes in Mexico,
when they wish to visit someone, to sit down some 50 feet or so from the
friend's house, in full view of it but not facing the house directly, as if
their interest just happens to be in something located nearby. The people
in the house may come and go for many hours, indeed all day, without
showing the slightest indication that they perceive the would-be visitor,
and the latter may or may not stay waiting long enough to be overtly
noticed, with no one ever saying anything later to indicate that any
visiting activity like this has occurred. Communication in forums of this
type is often like that—though it can sometimes be very like rapid-pace
face-to-face discussion, too—and there are other unusual features of it as
well which we may also want to discuss on the list itself.
      If nobody responds to your posts you should NOT assume that it is
because of lack of interest, or that your post is perceived as something
negligible. You really have no basis for doing that, given the
understandings and practices of lists like this. Frequently, the interested
people just don't have time to respond, and few of us have time to respond
to more than a small percentage of the things that interest us, in any
case. Since you usually have no way of knowing why you didn't get the
response you hoped for, it is best to be Stoic about it—or as it says in
the Bhagavad Gita: "Do not work for the fruits of your action." Pose your
questions and comments well by your own standards and remind yourself that
even if there is no overt response, what you have said or asked will be
read by hundreds of people in any case, and with what results or "fruits"
you cannot know. If overt response is also important to you, then wait a
month or so and try it again.

I continue to learn from our discussions here including this one. But this
will, I think, be my last post in this thread, at least for now, as we turn
to Lowell 2.

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]