John,

I'll have to confess at this point that I have no interest in learning EGs
for the sake of learning a new notation system, or for the sake of knowledge
representation in automated systems. This is probably the reason why I found
your tutorial, and the Peirce text it is based on, uninformative, as an
introduction to EGs. All I managed to learn from them was how to translate
back and forth between EGs and three or four logical algebra systems, none
of which I have any use for ... i.e. from one set of meaningless symbols to
another.

I can't speak for others, but what I've been hoping to learn from Lowell 2,
aside from the role of EGs in the larger context of the Lowell lectures
(including the Syllabus), is how they suit the purpose which Peirce
explicitly designed them for, namely "to enable us to separate reasoning
into its smallest steps so that each one may be examined by itself . to
facilitate the study of reasoning" (and not to facilitate reasoning itself).
In other words, I'm trying to get a clearer view not of EGs as a
mathematical system but of the process that their transformations are
supposed to represent. It's not just the signs but their objects, the
elementary phenomena of reasoning, that I'd like to understand better.

The three pairs of rules you attached (from NEM) are essentially the same as
the three pairs he gives later on in Lowell 2, except for the shading and
the absence of lines of identity. But if one doesn't see how the spots,
lines and areas of EGs represent propositions, including conditional
propositions, what's the point of knowing these rules? That, I take it, is
why Peirce doesn't start with them, but works up to them from a starting
point which is the universe represented by the sheet of assertion and the
individual "subjects" which make up that universe. From there he proceeds to
the logical form which conveys "the most immediately useful information,"
and eventually works his way from that ground up to the code of permissions
or "rules."

Having said that, I have to say also that some of the statements in your
post are even more confusing than Peirce's presentation in Lowell 2. You
wrote, "Peirce said that a blank sheet of assertion is a graph.  Since it's
a graph, you can draw a double negation around it."  - Eh? How can you draw
anything around the sheet of assertion, which (by Peirce's definition) is
unbounded?? Can you show us a replica?

Then you wrote, "The blank is Peirce's only axiom, which is always true."

GF: No, in Peirce the blank sheet of assertion does not represent a
proposition, and it takes at least a proposition to be true or false. What
he says is that anything made determinate by being scribed on the sheet of
assertion is assumed to be true. And Peirce does not say that the "blank" is
an "axiom" in any presentation of EGs that I've seen. Can you cite a
reference for that?

JFS: "If you draw just one oval around it [any area?], you get a graph that
negates the truth. Therefore, it is always false."

GF: What Peirce says in Lowell 2 is quite different: If you draw a closed
line around a graph on the sheet of assertion, it makes that graph false of
the universe represented by the sheet of assertion.

JFS: "Peirce called it the pseudograph."

GF: No, "pseudograph" in Peirce is another name for the "blot," which is the
inner close of a scroll when it is completely filled, so it is the opposite
of blank. A mere empty cut, or empty area, is not a pseudograph. In Lowell
2, the pseudograph represents an absurd consequent, which by its presence
has the effect of negating the antecedent. It doesn't "negate the truth."

If you don't think Lowell 2 is worth a close look, you're entitled to that
opinion, but if we're going to refer to it at all, or to the Lowell
lectures, then we should do so accurately. I'm trying to do that here, even
when I question the clarity and value of Peirce's arguments, because I'm
hoping others can clarify them better than I've been able to do so far.

Gary f.