List,

I must apologize to the list for introducing the term "dot" into this
discussion, as Peirce actually uses that term not in Lowell 2, but in some
of his other explanations of existential graphs, notably CP 4.438:

"Let a heavy dot or dash be used in place of a noun which has been erased
from a proposition. A blank form of proposition produced by such erasures as
can be filled, each with a proper name, to make a proposition again, is
called a rhema, or, relatively to the proposition of which it is conceived
to be a part, the predicate of that proposition."

In Lowell 2.13, Peirce refers to this heavy dot as a "decidedly marked
point":

"Since the blackboard, or the sheet of assertion, represents the universe of
discourse, and since this universe is a collection of individuals, it seems
reasonable that any decidedly marked point of the sheet should stand for a
single individual; so that . should mean "'something exists'." (The dot
between "that" and "should" may not even be visible in some mail readers,
which could cause even more confusion!)

With this in mind, I will copy 2.14 here again, but with some interpolations
of my own (in a contrasting font) that will try to clear up the confusion
regarding the analysis of propositions as represented in EGs.

Gary f.

Continuing from Lowell 2.13,

https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-455-456-1903-low
ell-lecture-ii/display/13620

You will ask me what use I propose to make of this sign that something
exists, a fact that graphist and interpreter took for granted at the outset.

Gf: The point marked with a dot, . , like a blank in a rheme, represents
some individual which can serve as a subject of a proposition. In that
respect it is equivalent to a demonstrative pronoun, or a proper name the
first time it is heard, in ordinary language. But in this lecture Peirce
introduces this "decidedly marked point" . before introducing the rheme or
spot which represents the predicate. This has the effect of emphasizing the
fact that . denotes an individual subject within the universe of discourse.

CSP: I will show you that the sign will be useful as long as we agree that
although different points on the sheet may denote the same individual, yet
different individuals cannot be denoted by the same point on the sheet.

Gf: This entails that a line made up of . points can denote a single
individual, and this becomes the "line of identity" in EGs.

CSP: If we take any proposition, say

A sinner kills a saint

and if we erase portions of it, so as to leave it a blank form of
proposition, the blanks being such that if every one of them is filled with
a proper name, a proposition will result, such as

______ kills a saint
A sinner kills ______
______ kills ______

where Cain and Abel might for example fill the blanks, then such a blank
form, as well as the complete proposition, is called a rheme (provided it be
neither [by] logical necessity true of everything nor true of nothing, but
this limitation may be disregarded). If it has one blank it is called a
monad rheme, if two a dyad, if three a triad, if none a medad (from μηδέν).

Gf: In the linguistic expression of a proposition, a "proper name" (or a
pronoun) can serve as a subject while the rest of the sentence is the
predicate. In the "blank form" of a proposition, the "blank" occupies the
place of the subject which in EG notation is a "marked point" .. But notice
that a common noun, such as "sinner" or "saint" in Peirce's examples above,
is not a subject but is part of the predicate, or rheme. Thus a complete
proposition which includes only general terms is still a rheme, a medad with
no blanks. The number of blanks is the "valency" or 'adicity' of the rheme,
the number of individual subjects it can take (such as Cain or Abel or ..
Translating this into ordinary language about propositions, common nouns and
verbs together (along with some structure words and modifiers) make up the
predicate, and it can take any number of subjects, but each of these must be
an individual denotable by a proper name or a demonstrative pronoun.

CSP: Now such a rheme being neither logically necessary nor logically
impossible, as a part of a graph without being represented as a combination
by any of the signs of the system, is called a lexis and each replica of the
lexis is called a spot. (Lexis is the Greek for a single word and a lexis in
this system corresponds to a single verb in speech. The plural of lexis is
preferably lexeis rather than lexises.)

Gf: After this, Peirce very rarely used the term "lexis", but consistently
used both "rheme" (or rhema) and "spot" to denote this aspect of the EG
system. (That's why I made my parenthetical remark about not confusing the
"spot" with the "dot", which appears to have caused the very confusion I was
trying to avoid!)

CSP: Such a spot has a particular point on its periphery appropriated to
each and every one of its blanks. Those points, which, you will observe, are
mere places, and are not marked, are called the hooks of the spot. But if a
marked point, which we have agreed shall assert the existence of an
individual, be put in that place which is a hook of a graph, it must assert
that some thing is the corresponding individual whose name might fill the
blank of the rheme.

Gf: In existential graph-replicas, the "spot" (rheme, predicate) generally
takes the form of a word or phrase such as "is a pear" or "is ripe" or
"kills" or "loves". The "hooks" (sometimes called "pegs", as John mentioned)
are invisible unless they are marked by a point which is one end of a line
of identity. A line of identity is considered a graph in itself, but all it
can say in propositional form is "something exists," which is not very
useful. In order to predicate anything else of this subject, you have to
attach the . or line-end to a spot, at one of its hooks.

CSP: Thus

. gives . to . in exchange for .

will mean "something gives something to something in exchange for
something."

Gf: I'll follow this up with 2.15 where the "line of identity" is defined; I
found that I had to use the term in this post in order to explain the
difference between the . and the "spot", which represent subject and
predicate respectively in the logic of relations. I should mention that
"subject" and "predicate" are not rigid ontological categories when applied
to the language in which propositions are expressed. As Peirce observed
later on, the subject/predicate distinction is contingent on one's analysis
of the given proposition, so that "all that words can convey" may be "thrown
into the predicate" (CP 5.525), giving us a medad rheme. (I won't venture to
say what the result would look like if everything is "thrown into the
subject.")

Gary f.

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowell2.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903