John,

Summing up your detailed explanation, I gather that your reason for concluding
that the 1909/11 rendition of EGs was “preferred” by Peirce is that he knew
that his letter to Kehler would be widely circulated among Lady Welby’s circle
and thought that they could gain more recognition in that way. I have my doubts
whether he could have assumed that, but in any case, that is circumstantial
evidence. Your reasons for preferring it yourself are clear enough, but I see
nothing that convinces me that Peirce preferred the 1909/11 version for those
reasons.

You have a preference for “positive (unshaded) and negative (shaded) regions”
as opposed to “evenly and oddly enclosed areas” (respectively), but as far as I
can see in the Kehler letter, the boundaries of shaded regions are precisely
and operationally equivalent to cuts. You are right that the shaded versions
are easier to read at a glance, especially when the enclosures are deeply
nested; but there’s also a physical problem with implementing that notation,
because if you have occasion to erase or deiterate a graph in a shaded area,
you have to do it without erasing the shading and thus negating the negation.

There is also something of logical importance lost in substituting shading for
cuts, and that will (I hope) become clear when we look at the next section of
Lowell 2 (17), so I won’t go into it now. What I will say is, first, Thanks for
directing my attention to MS L 231; I don’t have access to NEM 3 (except by
doing a Google search for an unusual phrase in the letter), but now that I’ve
found a copy of the manuscript online I’ve been reading it with great interest.
Second, based on that reading, I think you’ve exaggerated the differences
between the Lowell presentation of EGs and the 1911 presentation in that
letter. Almost all the differences are due to changes in terminology, such as
the change from “hooks” to “pegs”; the features named by those terms perform
exactly the same functions in both versions. In fact, I would say that after
some complex experimentation with the gamma graphs around 1906, Peirce
“simplified” his EGs by simply returning to the 1903 version (with very minor
changes) and leaving out most of the rationale for it. But we can argue that
point as we move on with Lowell 2.

One remark I found interesting in the Kehler letter after Peirce had taken
several pages to explain the syntax of the graphs: on p. 23 he wrote, “By the
space that I have occupied in explaining this syntax, you will surely think it
is my chief work. On the contrary, it is one of the smallest, but it is the
only one of which I could put you in a position to gain some understanding
without writing a book about it.” That certainly alters my impression of the
importance Peirce ascribed to his existential graphs. And just when I’m
beginning to take them more seriously myself!

Gary f.