Edwina, Gary R, Stephen, and Gary F,

Edwina
I emphasize that semiosis is operative not merely in the more complex
or larger-brain animals, but in all matter, from the smallest micro
bacterium to the plant world to the animal world.

Yes.  I like to quote the biologist Lynn Margulis, who devoted
her career to studying bacteria:  “The growth, reproduction,
and communication of these moving, alliance-forming bacteria”
lie on a continuum “with our thought, with our happiness, our
sensitivities and stimulations.”
https://www.edge.org/documents/ThirdCulture/n-Ch.7.html

Gary R
Has there been any work (articles, dissertations, etc.) comparing
the thinking of the two? As I recall, John, some of your papers
touch on this.

Following is the article I presented at a conference on "Pragmatic
process philosophy" in 1999:  http://jfsowa.com/pubs/signproc.pdf

Stephen
Here's
somethinghttp://blog.uvm.edu/aivakhiv/2010/05/12/between-whitehead-peirce/

Thanks for that reference.  I googled "peirce whitehead" and found
many other references.  Among them was a paper by Jaime Nubiola
from 2008:  http://www.unav.es/users/PeirceWhitehead.html

Jaime also spoke at the 1999 conference.  But the 2008 paper is
more detailed.  In it, he quoted Whitehead's biographer, Victor Lowe:
Convictions common to Peirce and Whitehead have been deservedly noticed
by commentators, somewhat to the neglect of the first question of
metaphysics: How shall metaphysics be pursued? — As a science among
the sciences, says Peirce. Not so, says Whitehead; it seeks truth, but
a more general truth than sciences seek (Lowe 1964, 440).

But I'm not sure that they disagreed on that point.  In his 1903
classification of the sciences, Peirce said that the "special sciences"
depend on mathematics and metaphysics.  Therefore, metaphysics would be
more general than the special sciences.

Gary F
Peircean semiotics is naturally associated with a notion of “sign”
which is not limited to human use of signs; but the Lowell lectures
may represent his first clear move in that direction.

This is one more reason for getting a more complete collection
and transcription of Peirce's MSS.  He was undoubtedly thinking
about these issues for years, and he must have had good reasons
for changing his terminology.  But those brief quotations don't
explain why.