On 1/20/2018 4:54 PM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
What change in terminology are you referring to?

I was thinking about the following point:

Gary F
Peircean semiotics is naturally associated with a notion of “sign”
which is not limited to human use of signs; but the Lowell lectures
may represent his first clear move in that direction.

I was asking about signs "not limited to human use".

If the Lowell lectures show the "first clear move", are there earlier
unclear moves?  Hints?  Suggestions?  Musements?

The clearest MSS were the most likely to be selected for publication
in CP and EP.  But there may be fragmentary MSS with passages that
are crossed out.  Perhaps he had earlier thoughts along those lines,
but he didn't have a "sop for Cerberus".