Jon, list,

You say “Peirce very clearly maintained in his later writings--beginning
already in 1904 (CP 8.336)--that every Sign has an Immediate Object.” I don’t
think it’s that clear at all. CP 8.336, to take your example, does not say
anything about “every sign.” Moreover, in much of his late semiotic Peirce
refers to propositions as “complete” signs, while simpler sign types are
“partial” or “fragmentary”; and it looks to me as if many of his references to
“signs” in general at this time (and even earlier) are references to such
complete signs.

In the Syllabus passage that refers to “primary” and “secondary” objects,
Peirce is clearly focused on Dicisigns, which are very much like propositions,
and what Bellucci actually says is that “There is a sense in which only
propositions and proposition-like signs have immediate objects.” (His 2015
paper is a free download and is well worth reading, in my opinion.) Reading
this part of Peirce’s Speculative Grammar, around EP2:276, is described by
Peirce himself as “threading our way through a maze of abstractions,” but it
seems quite plausible to me that the “Secondary Object,” being a part of the
sign, fits reasonably well Peirce’s later definitions of the Immediate Object.

I think this will need some further looking into. Which I don’t have time for
right now, partly because I want to read your Additament piece first!

Gary f