Gary f, Jon S, list,

I have to agree with Jon S that *every* sign has an immediate object. Here
are a few examples (taken from the *Commens* Dictionary) to that effect.
1906 [c.] | On the System of Existential Graphs Considered as an Instrument
for the Investigation of Logic |MS [R] 499(s)

…*every* sign has *two* objects (emphasis added by GR). It has that object
which it represents itself to have, its Immediate Object, which has no
other being than that of being represented to be, a mere Representative
Being. . .; and on the other hand there is the Real Object which has really
determined the sign[,] which I usually call the Dynamical Object. . .
1907 | Pragmatism | EP 2:407

… the *requaesitum* which we have been seeking is simply that which the
sign “stands for,” or the idea of that which it is calculated to awaken. [—]

This *requaesitum* I term the *Object* of the sign; - the *immediate* object,
if it be the idea which the sign is built upon, the *real* object, if it be
that real thing or circumstance upon which that idea is founded, as
on bedrock.
1907 | Pragmatism | MS [R] 318:15

…all logicians have distinguished two objects of a sign: *the Immediate
object or object as the sign represents it, (and without this one, a sign
would not be a sign*); the other [the] Real object, or object as it is
independent of any particular idea representing it (emphasis added by GR).
1907 | Pragmatism | MS [R] 318:24-5

The immediate object is the object as the sign represents it: the real
object is that same object as it is, in its own mode of being, independent
of the sign or any other representation. [—] *Every* sign must plainly have
an immediate object, however indefinite, in order to be a sign [emphasis
added by GR].
1908-12 | Letters to Lady Welby | CP 8.343

… it is necessary to distinguish the *Immediate Object*, or the Object as
the Sign represents it, from the *Dynamical Object*, or really efficient
but not immediately present Object.
1909 | Letters to William James | EP 2:495

As to the Object, that may mean *the Object as cognized in the Sign and
therefore an Idea*, or it may be the Object as it is regardless of any
particular aspect of it, the Object in such relations as unlimited and
final study would show it to be. *The former I call the Immediate Object*,
the latter the *Dynamical* Object. For the latter is the Object that
Dynamical Science (or what at this day would be called “Objective” science)
can investigate (Emphasis added by GR).
1909 | Letters to William James | EP 2:498

We must distinguish between *the Immediate Object, – i.e., the Object as
represented in the sign*, – and the Real (no, because perhaps the Object is
altogether fictive, I must choose a different term; therefore:), say rather
the Dynamical Object, which, from the nature of things, the Sign
*cannot* express,
which it can only *indicate* and leave the interpreter to find out by
*collateral
experience *(emphasis added by GR).
1910 | Letters to Paul Carus | ILS 284

Then there are 3 divisions that relate to the Object. One according to *the
form under which the Sign presents its Object. This is of course **the
object **as the sign represents it**, i.e. the Immediate Object *(emphasis
added by GR).

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]