}Jon, list

        1. See my most recent post - which has the Representamen as the
mediation between the O and the I. As to whether this semiosic triad
can function 'outside or inside' - to me, that doesn't make any
sense, since I consider semiosic as an interaction between two
entities. ..Yes, this can be a purely conceptual interaction taking
place within one human..but..semiosis remains an interaction.

        2. I disagree that Peirce considered the form as operative in
Firstness. Firstness is a quality, a sensation - and Form, as such,
functions within constraints, borders, rules .Form is a property of
Thirdness.  I also disagree that matter is 'Secondness'. Secondness
is a brute interaction and not necessarily material. And- even matter
doesn't exist without Form. That's why I use the term 'morpohological
unit' - to outline the nature of matter-as-a-form.

        3. I think that your interpretation of Peirce's outline misses the
point that the function of the Representamen is to mediate, and
transform the sensate data received from the DO - into some
understanding of what that data is. How can the Representamen mediate
- unless it 'is in touch' with, so to speak, the normative patterns,
the habits, of that entity?

        Edwina
 On Mon 05/02/18  9:39 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 1.  Per my last response to Gary R., it depends on which Sign we are
discussing.  The loud sound is obviously outside the bird, while the
neural pattern is obviously inside the bird.  In my current thinking,
both can be analyzed as Representamens; in yours, if I understand you
correctly, only the latter is a Representamen.
 2.  I start having trouble following you when you introduce new
terms like "morphological units" and "material forms"; the latter
term, in particular, almost seems like an oxymoron, since
philosophers (including Peirce) traditionally maintain a  distinction
between form (1ns) and matter (2ns).  In any case, you only mention
birds, trees, and insects as "locations" of semiosis; does this mean
that you reject physical semiosis in non-living material things, or
perhaps view it as consisting entirely of brute dyadic reactions?
 3.  Again, where memory (collateral experience) and habits (of
interpretation) fit into the process of semiosis is precisely what I
am now trying to figure out.  Because I define the Representamen as
that which stands for an Object to an Intepretant--which is how I
read Peirce defining it, as well--I do not see how these elements can
be "located" within the Representamen.  Instead, my sense--still quite
vague and tentative at this point--is that collateral experience has
something to do with recognizing the Immediate Object as a
determination of its Dynamic Object, while habits of interpretation
have something to do with the tendency to produce a particular
Dynamic Interpretant from the range of possibilities that constitutes
the Immediate Interpretant.
 4.  It sounds like we agree on interpreting Peirce as holding that
substances (like an individual bird) are bundles of habits.
 Regards,
 Jon S.