Jon, Edwina, list,

I think I'm going to drop out of the discussion as well principally,
because as I wrote before my eye operations, I've already begun to move in
different directions this year. I noted, Jon that you'll be reading
Peirce's late Pragmatism piece (1907) which I am currently rereading as
well. I hope we can get a fruitful discussion going sometime soon on that
extraordinary, late piece (the last before the Neglected Argument in EP2).
There is so much in it of interest generally and, I think, of potential
relevance to the current discussion, that in the light of "Pragmatism" it
might be posaible to return to it with new understanding and fresh insights.

I'm beginning to think--and especially in light of this discussion--that
some of the issues discussed in this thread (and not just the
terminological) really *are* as difficult as they seem. So I, for one, have
found the recent discussion stimulating also* because* it reminds me that
there is much in Peirce's semeiotic which, while initially seeming clear
enough (or even 'obvious') turns out, upon reflective discussion, not to be
at all.

I think that that aspects of both of your approaches have some validity,
while I personally haven't been able to agree with either of you on certain
key points. In a sense I keep flipping back and forth between your very
different interpretations. But, I think that this difficulty in
interpretation may be in the "nature of the beast" and, again, I think the
effort has been most worthwhile, stimulating and valuable in many ways.
What has been somewhat unexpected is the way that at times you, Edwina and
Jon, seem to get closer to agreement on some points (and I can join you in
that agreement) and then a post or two later find yourself at odds again on
what seemed like a kind of "breakthrough" in mutual understanding on that
self-same point. Then I feel lost again myself. . .

I disagree with Jerry C that your analysis is particularly 'linear', Jon;
or, if it is, so is Peirce's. So will be anyone's to some extent. That is,
I think that any such analysis will at least quasi-necessarily--because of
the nature of language--at times *appear* linear, while I think that both
you and Edwina have made it abundantly clear, albeit in your different
ways, that the one thing you do clearly agree on is the *essentially *triadic
nature of semiosis (and *that* is surely *not* linear).

So, again--and this time I mean it!--I'll say farewell to this particular
discussion for now to return to "Pragmatism" (1907, EP2: 398-433). And, in
preparation for Lowell 4, read some Bellucci to see if I can make more
sense of it in the light of Stjernfelt's work and Gary f's and Jeff's
analyses, also very intriguing.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]