Helmut - No, I consider that the bird's perception of the loud sound
is NOT the representamen. The bird has several means of 'perception'.

        IO: the Immediate Object is a first sensual perception of an
external existentiality; the bird's senses absorb the sound

        II - the Immediate Interpretant is the bird's neurological and
knowledge based interpretation of this loud sound; It's an external
'thing'

        DI- the Dynamic Interpretant is the bird's articulation of the II:
'I should flee this external thing'.

        The Representamen is the mediation between the IO and the II/DI. The
Representamen is the site of the information held by the neurological
nature of the bird and the information from its life-experience. This
stored information mediates the sound....and 'thinks' about it..and
comes up with the conclusion that 'this sound is something to run
away from'.

        Think of the semiosic triad as a syllogism.

        The Objects can be understood as the Minor Premise, i.e., the
individual situation.

        The Major Premise - the 'universal or general rules' - can be
understood as the Representamen

        the Conclusion - can be understood as the Interpretant[s].

        Edwina
 On Mon 05/02/18  2:16 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
  Edwina, Jon, Gary, List, I wonder if this might be agreeable to all
of you: The loud sound itself is not the representamen. The bird´s
perception of the loud sound is. This has to do with memory: If the
bird would not know (by memory e.g. due to instinct, due to neural
structure, or due to having learned) that a loud sound means
something, it would not perceive it. Best, Helmut     05. Februar
2018 um 19:43 Uhr
 Von: "Gary Richmond"
     Jon, Edwina, list,   I think I'm going to drop out of the
discussion as well principally, because as I wrote before my eye
operations, I've already begun to move in different directions this
year. I noted, Jon that you'll be reading Peirce's late Pragmatism
piece (1907) which I am currently rereading as well. I hope we can
get a fruitful discussion going sometime soon on that extraordinary,
late piece (the last before the Neglected Argument in EP2). There is
so much in it of interest generally and, I think, of potential
relevance to the current discussion, that in the light of
"Pragmatism" it might be posaible to return to it with new
understanding and fresh insights.   I'm beginning to think--and
especially in light of this discussion--that some of the issues
discussed in this thread (and not just the terminological) really are
as difficult as they seem. So I, for one, have found the recent
discussion stimulating also because it reminds me that there is much
in Peirce's semeiotic which, while initially seeming clear enough (or
even 'obvious') turns out, upon reflective discussion, not to be at
all.   I think that that aspects of both of your approaches have some
validity, while I personally haven't been able to agree with either of
you on certain key points. In a sense I keep flipping back and forth
between your very different interpretations. But, I think that this
difficulty in interpretation may be in the "nature of the beast" and,
again, I think the effort has been most worthwhile, stimulating and
valuable in many ways. What has been somewhat unexpected is the way
that at times you, Edwina and Jon, seem to get closer to agreement on
some points (and I can join you in that agreement) and then a post or
two later find yourself at odds again on what seemed like a kind of
"breakthrough" in mutual understanding on that self-same point. Then
I feel lost again myself. . .   I disagree with Jerry C that your
analysis is particularly 'linear', Jon; or, if it is, so is Peirce's.
So will be anyone's to some extent. That is, I think that any such
analysis will at least quasi-necessarily--because of the nature of
language--at times appear linear, while I think that both you and
Edwina have made it abundantly clear, albeit in your different ways,
that the one thing you do clearly agree on is the essentially triadic
nature of semiosis (and  that is surely not linear).   So, again--and
this time I mean it!--I'll say farewell to this particular discussion
for now to return to "Pragmatism" (1907, EP2: 398-433). And, in
preparation for Lowell 4, read some Bellucci to see if I can make
more sense of it in the light of Stjernfelt's work and Gary f's and
Jeff's analyses, also very intriguing.   Best,   Gary R
Gary Richmond Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York 718 482-5690