This is obviously a politically and emotionally charged topic at the
moment, and I want to say at the outset that I personally am not a
proponent of "gun rights" as that term is commonly used in public
discourse.  However, I do believe in accurately interpreting the
Constitution, and I have to agree with Franklin that the Second Amendment
neither asserts nor implies that a "well regulated Militia" is only one
that is "federally authorized."  On the contrary, it asserts that such a
Militia is "necessary to the security of a free State," and of course the
word "State" in this context refers to each of the sovereign
entities--thirteen at that time, fifty today--that are united under the
federal government.  Furthermore, the right "to keep and bear Arms" is not
limited to the members of said Militia, but is attributed to "the people,"
which again has a very specific meaning in this context; cf. the Ninth and
Tenth Amendments.