Jeff, List:

I still suspect that there are at least subtle differences in the meaning
of "determines" between these three passages.

CSP:  In every genuine Triadic Relation, the First Correlate may be
regarded as determining the Third Correlate in some respect; and triadic
relations may be divided according as that determination of the Third
Correlate is to having some quality, or to being in some existential
relation to the Second Correlate, or to being in some relation of thought
to the Second for something. A *Representamen *is the First Correlate of a
triadic relation, the Second Correlate being termed its *Object*, and the
possible Third Correlate being termed its *Interpretant*, by which triadic
relation the possible Interpretant is determined to be the First Correlate
of the same triadic relation to the same Object, and for some possible
Interpretant. (EP 2:290; 1903)

CSP:  ... a sign is anything, of whatsoever mode of being, which mediates
between an object and an interpretant; since it is both determined by the
object relatively to the interpretant, and determines the interpretant in
reference to the object, in such wise as to cause the interpretant to be
determined by the object through the mediation of this "sign." (EP 2:410;
1907)

CSP:  It is evident that a Possible can determine nothing but a Possible;
it is equally so that a Necessitant can be determined by nothing but a
Necessitant ... the Dynamoid Object determines the Immediate Object, which
determines the Sign itself, which determines the Destinate Interpretant,
which determines the Effective Interpretant, which determines the Explicit
Interpretant ... (EP 2:481;1908)

The first is from NDTR and indicates that the Sign (Representamen)
determines the Interpretant "in some respect," such that the Interpretant
is *another* Sign of the *same *Object in the *same *triadic relation;
based on the later taxonomies, Peirce was talking about the Dynamic Object
and the Final Interpretant.  The second is from "Pragmatism" and describes
a *concrete instance* of semiosis; I am inclined to think that Peirce was
still referring here to the Od and If.  The third is from a draft letter to
Lady Welby and pertains to which Sign *classes *are logically feasible once
the Oi, Ii, and Id are added to the mix.  Are Od and Oi really *two *Objects,
or two aspects of a *single *Object that determines the Sign?  Are If, Id,
and Ii really *three *Interpretants, or three aspects of a *single
*Interpretant
that the Sign determines?

I continue to look forward to your responses to the specific questions that
I posed yesterday.

Thanks,

Jon S.