Jon S, List,

You refer to sample texts for the sake of supporting the first three of the
bulleted points, but no reference is provided for the fourth point. Do you, by
chance, have textual references that I might consult in order to understand the
seven points that are made:

  *   (1) The efficient cause of the Sign is the DO,
  *   (2) its formal cause is the IO, its material cause is the SR, and
  *   (3) its final cause is mediating between the DO and the FI.
  *   (4) The  efficient cause of the Interpretant is the SR,
  *   (5) its formal cause is the II,
  *   (6) its material cause is the DI, and
  *   (7) its final cause is the FI.

On a separate note, you might remove some possible confusion by inserting
"Legisign" into the diagram and supporting discussion where you are clearly
talking about signs that have the character of necessitants (i.e., general
rules) in terms of the mode of their apprehension. That might help clarify, for
instance, the kind of relation that holds between general legisigns and token
sinsigns. Furthermore, one thing that seems missing from the diagram is some
indication of where iconic qualisigns fit into the picture.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy