Jeff, List:

The fourth bullet is not derived from any particular passage written by
Peirce; it is simply my own attempt to analyze the Sign and Interpretant in
any concrete instance of semiosis by means of Aristotle's four causes, with
the Correlates all conceptualized in terms of Form/Matter/Entelechy.

   - The Dynamic Object is the *Matter *that the Sign *denotes*.
   - The Immediate Object is the *Form *that the Sign *signifies*.
   - The Immediate Interpretant is the *Form *that a Sign-Replica
   *communicates*.
   - The Dynamic Interpretant is the *Matter *that a Sign-Replica
   *determines*.
   - The Final Interpretant is the *Entelechy *that the Sign *intends*.

As you may recall, I take at face value Peirce's statements in "New
Elements" that "a sign is not a real thing. It is of such a nature as to
exist in *replicas* ... The being of a sign is merely *being represented* ... A
sign is something that exists in replicas" (EP 2:303,311; 1904).  In other
words, I see them as pertaining to *all *Signs, such that there really are
no Qualisigns or Sinsigns as Peirce defined them in 1903 according to the
(ontological) Mode of Being of the Sign itself.  Instead, I have adopted
his later division into Tone/Token/Type according to the Sign's
(phaneroscopic) Mode of Apprehension or Possible Presentation.  I remain
open to being persuaded that this is mistake on my part, but so far I have
not encountered a convincing explanation of why Peirce would have used (and
emphasized) the broad term "sign" in those statements--even adding that he
was "Giving to the word *sign *the full scope that reasonably belongs to it
for logical purposes" (EP 2:303)--if he somehow meant them to apply more
narrowly, to only Legisigns or Symbols.