List, JAS:

My opinion on the relative role of representation in perception and cognition
was just that.

The following quote parallels certain aspects of my view.
Representation and the Meaning of Life

W.D. Christensen and C.A. Hooker

In the western philosophical tradition the reasoning agent is characterised in
a way that is, perhaps unsurprisingly, overwhelmingly preoccupied with ideas.
Rationality, and intelligent action, are characterised in terms of relations
amongst ideas, and between ideas and the world. In the twentieth century this
concern with ideas translated into a strong focus on representation, and a
representationally based conception of the nature of cognition called
cognitivism. According to cognitivism, representation is the fundamental and
ubiquitous unit of all cognitive explanation. It is the key element in the
answers to all questions about how we can know about the world and act
intelligently in it. Perception, for instance, is modelled as the acquisition
of representations and problem solving as the logical manipulation of
representations.

The challenge to the Peircian  perception of a “sign”  as a general term in
contrast with a representation as a logical term (predicate) for a species is
substantial.

If one considers the role of lexical fields is separating the meanings of signs
standing as predicates, then the challenge is increased in its severity.

Or, an alternative statement is that a sign as a generality is vague wrt both
scale and scope, severely limiting the relationships between lexical fields.

In my view, representation is essential to the natural sciences in order to
relate the scale and scope of the terms of representations of parts of wholes
such that logical compositions can emerge and be either verified or rejected.

Cheers

Jerry