Jon, list,
I doubt that the object is the meaning of the sign. I think, that meaning is something  having to do with the sign process that produces it (meaning) more and more. So perhaps it is rather the interpretant, but the interpretant mostly becomes a new sign, and as such contributes to it (to meaning) in the following sign. So meaning is not something definite, denoted, but something like a work in progress, I guess, something that is produced (or sometimes even annihilated) on and on. At least in the Peircean context it is so, I think. In Ogden/Richard´s  it is different.
Denotation too is not a one way thing, as it would be if you would say, that the sign would denote the subject. It denotes the object, but the object is an object because of the sign, being then a part of it´s. Otherwise it would be just a subject, like it was before. So denotation is a fetching process: Not an arrow, but an arrow with two tips, like give and take.
Determination is something else again. It is like an arrow with one tip, but I think it should not be overestimated, because I guess it is just a special technical term for a limited nonsemiotic sub-causality having to do rather with spatiotemporality than with function.
Best, Helmut

 23. Juni 2018 um 23:31 Uhr
 "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>

Gary F., List:

Of course I have read Bellucci's book (very recently) and paper (several months ago).  My objection is to your insistence on the shorthand of characterizing my (and Gary R.'s) position as a "Fregean interpretation," since (as I said before) I do not know anything about Frege's views on these matters or how they are relevant to Peirce's views, other than what Bellucci claims.

In any case, Bellucci is clearly incorrect--at least from a Peircean standpoint--when he states that a Sign "signifies its interpretant."  On the contrary ...

CSP:  Thus, while the complete Object of a Symbol, that is to say, its meaning, is of the nature of a law, it must denote an individual, and must signify a character. A genuine Symbol is a Symbol that has a general meaning. There are two kinds of degenerate Symbols, the Singular Symbol whose Object is an existent individual, and which signifies only such characters as that individual may realize; and the Abstract Symbol, whose only Object is a character. (EP 2:275; 1903)

CSP:  The word signify has been the regular technical term since the twelfth century, when John of Salisbury (Metalogicus, II, xx) spoke of "quod fere in omnium ore celebre est, aliud scilicet esse quod appellativa [i.e., adjectives] significant, et aliud esse quod nominant. Nominantur singularia [i.e., existent individual things and facts], sed universalia [i.e., Firstnesses] signifcantur." (EP 2:281n; 1903)

CSP:  In addition however to denoting objects, every sign sufficiently complete [there is that phrase again] signifies characters, or qualities ... Every sign signifies the "Truth." But it is only the Aristotelian Form of the universe that it signifies. (EP 2:304; 1904).

CSP:  It will be observed that the icon is very perfect in respect to signification, bringing its interpreter face to face with the very character signified ... An icon is a sign fit to be used as such because it possesses the quality signified. (EP 2:307; 1904)

I thus side with Mats Bergman on this issue.  As I have summarized before, a Sign denotes its Dynamic Object (Matter/2ns), signifies some of that Object's characters/qualities (Form/1ns)--which, taken together, constitute its Immediate Object--and determines its Interpretants to represent the unity of Matter and Form (Entelechy/3ns).