From: John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net>
Sent: 2-Aug-18 19:19
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Recommendation: In email notes, avoid the word 'you'

Gary,

I made a recommendation based on what another colleague suggested on another
list.  And that recommendation really helped improve the level of discourse.  I
have since suggested the idea on other occasions, and it helped there as well.

> ET
> John - thank you - very good advice.
> GF
> It seems that little word is not so easy to avoid!  😊

Yes.  I had thought of making an exception for sincere compliments.
But I wanted to keep my note short.

> If I say “This is nonsense!”, is that /not/ an insult because I didn’t
> use the word “you”?

To say that a sentence is nonsensical may be a fact.  To say so is much less
insulting than to say "You are confused", which makes two claims (1) about some
sentence, and (2) about the person who said it.
Point #1 may be appropriate, but point #2 is a gratuitous insult.

And yes, I did take the examples out of context:  I took 2 examples from each
of 3 participants.  But those sentences would be insulting in any context.  I
also mentioned Mike B. and Gary R., who made good comments without insulting
anybody.

I also received an offline note with the following comment:
> Academics must have "thicker skins," in my experience; but your point
> is worth considering,

I also subscribe to academic lists for linguists and computer scientists.  And
none of the sentences I quoted would occur on those lists.  I believe that
philosophers should raise their civility to the level of academic discourse in
other fields.

John