John, Edwina, Gary F., and List,

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 3:18 PM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> EX 2
>> I’m glad to see that you now acknowledge the reality of truth.
>
> This is a gratuitous insult.  Various subscribers to Peirce-L
> may quibble about the criteria in different circumstances, but
> I'm sure that all of them distinguish T and F.

Below are Edwina's two seemingly contradictory statements.

On Aug 2, 2018, at 9:13 AM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>>> Gary F, list
>>>
>>> The issue is NOT whether or not 'the truth' exists as a reality. We can all
>>> acknowledge that there IS such a final stage. Such an acknowledgment
>>> therefore denies relativism and nominalism  - which rejects the reality of
>>> truth - and equally, denies the reality of falseness.
>>>
>>> And this same acknowledgment of a final Truth also necessarily acknowledges
>>> that objective reality exists regardless of what anyone thinks or says
>>> about it. […]

Edwina, perhaps there's something, for those of us who have a hard time
rectifying what appears prima facie as contradictory, to learn by an
explanation of their compatibility.

I've wrestled with the import of logic being ultimately grounded in esthetics
in light of the question of how much deviation of esthetic sense is allowed
from one person to another especially in different eras. Perhaps there's a
point in that problem to be addressed.

Perhaps these two meanings of 'truth' were not clearly separated in the
conversation, whether by the sender or receiver: (1) truth as a fully
encapsulated description of the object, or (1.5) truth as a description
encapsulated within a certain understood perimeter, e.g., the perimeter might
surround what is practical in general, or surround what is practical to the
matter at hand, and (2) truth as the universal alethic value of a specific
proposition (however precise or vague the proposition is).

You capitalized the T of 'truth' sometimes: what does that mean? When you said
"[the] final truth of the meaning of Peirce's work", does that 'truth' used
according to (1) or (1.5) above? Did Peirce ever use the term 'truth, in that
sense? (I don't remember, but I'd have to check.)

Matt