>” There is neither a reference to imitation nor mimesis in CP. I am a bit
>relieved.”

Stephen, I regard Peirce as the Isaac Newton of mind science (that’s a
compliment). However… to really test one’s theory of Mind, one needs to test
their firstness. And to do this, one needs to immerse themselves into
culturally alien contexts, and then observe how their motivations change with
said re-immersion. I mean, a lifestyle change. Up and relocate, maybe speak a
new language. And that means incorporating the assumptions of your new locale,
tune into the narratives of your new surroundings… i.e., imitation. You need to
become the people that you want to understand. You need to imitate them. It’s
the difference between theory and practice. That’s why an academic focus on
theory alone is never enough. You need to become amazed at how your motivations
have changed with your re-immersions. That’s why the importance of imitation
can never be appreciated when confined to within a single academic or cultural
context alone… it is perceived as “real” because its core narratives are never
questioned, even when you think you are questioning them… how can you question
a narrative while using the very narrative that you are questioning? You can’t
question your culture’s assumptions from an armchair. You will never be amazed
seated in an armchair.

sj