Helmut, list

        I'm a great admirer of the epistemic cut [see Harold Atmanspacher
for a good analysis] - but, in the case of a rheme, which is in a
mode of pure Firstness, I suggest that there is no epistemic cut. The
rheme is a STATE of pure feeling with no distinction between self and
other.

        So, there is no cognitive interpretation going on..."Aristotle
sometimes speaks of sense as prior to reason...and "matter is prior
to form; and potency to energy". 6.388.

        And therefore, in a sense, no DO or even IO. One must even wonder if
it is a Sign, that triad of O-R-I?! Or is it the "nothing of boundless
freedom', or potentiality' [6.219] that is somehow connected, in a few
seconds -  to semiosis [the triadic use of this potentiality] as a
source of the potential?

        Edwina
 On Wed 12/09/18  3:11 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
      Supplement: I refer to a text by Joseph Ransdell
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/ransdell/useabuse.htm
and I dont understand it, neither that some sign should not have an
IO. The DO is what is, the thing itself, and the IO is what it
appears to be in the semiosic process, according to Ransdell. If
there nothing appears, no IO exists, it is not a sign, is it? A sign
is about appearance, isnt it? Further I dont understand, that the IO
is a part of the DO, and at the end of complete inquiry both are the
same. See the end of the text. Ransdell writes that then the
reflexion somehow vanishes. But isnt that a sort of magical thinking?
Like if you know everything there is to know about an inkstand, that
inkstand materializes out of thin air before you? If the DO is the
inkstand, and the IO is as what it appears to be according to the
sign, even when this appearance is complete knowledge about it, it
still is just immaterial mental knowledge, but not the material
thing. I think the epistemic cut is a cut like the cut in the EGs. On
one side is the phaneron, on the other the material and energetic
world. To mention it is not dualism. The easiest, and for me the only
understandable way of dealing with it is to assume, that everything
concerning signs is on the phaneron side of it, so the DO too.
Francesco, Edwina, Jon, List,   to me it seem as if "is mortal" might
have a subject, and is quantifiable, if it means "belongs to the set
of mortal entities". But does "is mortal" mean "will die" or "may
die"? In the first case, bacteria dont belong to the set, in the
latter they do. So, if "mortal" is an unclear term, this rheme is not
quantifiable. But i´m sure, I have misunderstood it all, and should
read Peirce first, so if that is so, just dont answer. Best, Helmut
 12. September 2018 um 14:29 Uhr