}Gary R, list:

        Yes, I wrote: "And therefore, in a sense, no DO or even IO. One must
even wonder if it is a Sign, that triad of O-R-I?! Or is it the
"nothing of boundless freedom', or potentiality' [6.219] that is
somehow connected, in a few seconds -  to semiosis [the triadic use
of this potentiality] as a source of the potential?"

        Yes, I do wonder if a force in a state of pure Firstness is a
triadic Sign. I suggest that it is not.  But note, the Rhematic
Iconic Qualisign - is indeed, one of Peirce's classes of Signs - and
all three Relations are in a mode of Firstness. It is, as he wrote:
'any quality insofar as it is a sign' [2.254]..and is 'interpreted as
s sign of essence, that is, a Rheme". That is, the interactions among
the triad are, in Firstness, expressed as 'feeling'. So- I don't
understand your quibble about its being a state of pure feeling.

        And I apologize - I should clarify; I'm not talking about a Relation
in a triad that is in a mode of Firstness - which can be called a
Rheme - and is that state of pre-conscious feeling. I'm talking about
the mode of Firstness as it is ..as it is articulated in matter before
being constrained within the semiosic unit.

        I agree there is no such thing as an 'Icon'; but the Relation
between the DO and R can be 'iconic'; i.e., in a mode of Firstness.
So I'm not sure of your point.

        But that is not what I am wondering about. My question is the
natural force of spontaneity, of chance, of freedom in our world,
which is not yet a triadic sign - and what is it? We have enough
descriptions of Firstness in Peirce to understand its nature:
'presentness...'The present, being such as it is while utterly
ignoring everything else, is positively such as it is". 5.44. This
suggests to me - that this force is NOT harnessed by any Relations.

        As Peirce noted, in his discussion of 'Absolute Chance [6.47--] he
rejects the arguments that 'absolute chance is inconceivable'; that
it is unintelligible'..and concludes 'by thus admitting pure
spontaneity or life as a character of the universe, acting always and
everywhere though restrained within narrow bounds by law, producing
infinitesimal departures from law continually, and great ones with
infinite infrequency, I account for all the variety and diversity of
the universe" 6.59.

        Chance, spontaneity, that absence of Relations -- are attributes of
Firstness - and I consider that it IS 'pure Firstness'.

        Edwina
 On Thu 13/09/18  3:11 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, list,
 In recent posts you've suggested that a Rheme is pure 1ns despite
the fact that Peirce held that there was no such thing as pure 1ns
even in phenomenology let alone semeiotic. Indeed, when one does turn
to semeiotic, he held that there isn't even a pure icon, that such
signs may at best be icon ic.
 1898 | On Existential Graphs  | MS [R] 484:4-5

        . . . A pure icon, could such a sign exist, would present to us a
pure sense-quality, without any parts nor any respects, and
consequently without positive generality. But in fact there is no
pure icon. . .

        You've written that a Rheme is a "state of pure feeling," whereas
Peirce offers no semeiotic but only phenomenological thought
experiments to suggest what might be analogous to the quality
(feeling) of 1ns as such, for example, awakening to a particular
color or sound which, out of time and space, would consume ones
hypothetical instantaneous consciousness. Here's a generalized
account of what "a state of pure feeling" (actually impossible) might
be like.
 1902 | Minute Logic: Chapter I. Intended Characters of this Treatise
 | CP 2.85

        Let us now consider what could appear as being in the present
instant were it utterly cut off from past and future. We can only
guess; for nothing is more occult than the absolute present. There
plainly could be no action. . . There might be a sort of
consciousness, or feeling, with no self; and this feeling might have
its tone. . . I do not think there could be any continuity like
space, which, though it may perhaps appear in an instant in an
educated mind, I cannot think could do so if it had no time at all;
and without continuity parts of the feeling could not be synthetized;
and therefore there would be no recognizable parts. There could not
even be a degree of vividness of the feeling; for this [the degree of
vividness] is the comparative amount of disturbance of general
consciousness by a feeling. . .  The world would be reduced to a
quality of unanalyzed feeling. Here would be an utter absence of
binarity. I cannot call it unity; for even unity supposes plurality.
I may call its form Firstness. . .
 You've even suggested that the Rheme is not a Sign at all. Well,
that flies in the face of everything I know that Peirce ever wrote
about the Rheme, which he will refer to otherwise, and not
infrequently, as a Term, a typical example being a common or proper
noun.
 1904  | Letters to Lady Welby | SS 33-34

         In regard to its relation to its signified interpretant, a sign is
either a Rheme, a Dicent, or an Argument. This corresponds to the old
division Term, Proposition, & Argument, modified so as to be
applicable to signs generally. [—] A rheme is any sign that is not
true nor false, like almost any single word except ‘yes’ and
‘no’, which are almost peculiar to modern languages.
 So, I'm not sure what to make of your comments regarding the Rheme.
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York718 482-5690