Gary F., List:

It was brought to my attention off-List that I inadvertently sent my last
post in this thread to Gary F., rather than to the List as intended.  Since
his comments below are interspersed with mine, I will not bother to repeat
the latter.

GF: The date of the note is of no importance. What I said was that Peirce *did
not use the term “replica” after 1904 *in a semiotic context. You have not
cited an example to refute that observation, nor have you cited an instance
of Peirce ever using the term “Sign-Replica.”

I did not attribute any importance to the date of the note, I did not deny
your observation, and I did not claim that Peirce ever used the term
"Sign-Replica."  I simply pointed out that Peirce *did *use "Replica" quite
extensively *up until* 1904.  I have been advocating "Sign-Replica" as a
substitute for "Sign" whenever we are referring to the *embodiment *of a
Sign within a particular Sign System, rather than the Type *itself*, which
can have many such embodiments in many different Sign Systems.  However, I
would not be averse to simply using "Replica" for that purpose, if that is
less objectionable.

GF: True, the two words are not synonyms in the strictest sense of the
word. But a “replica is a sinsign” and a sinsign is a sign in this
classification, which means that the *replica is a sign*. This is not the
case in your systematization, because all signs are Types, and a Replica is
not a Type, is it?

Again, I am proposing that a Replica is an enduring *embodiment *of a Sign
(Type) within a particular Sign System, like the multiple appearances of
"the" on a printed page of written English.  I believe that this is
consistent with Peirce's usage of "Replica" through 1904.

GF:  Peirce said that there is only one word “the” in the English language,
only one *Type*, regardless of whether Tokens of it are spoken or printed.
A language is one Sign System, regardless of the variety of media used to
utter the signs.

I strongly disagree.  Peirce explicitly affirmed at least twice that a
translation from one language into another is a *different* Replica of the
*same* Sign.

CSP:  The mode of being of a representamen is such that it is capable of
repetition. Take, for example, any proverb. "Evil communications corrupt
good manners." Every time this is written or spoken in English, Greek, or
any other language, and every time it is thought of it is one and the same
representamen. (CP 5.138, EP 2:203; 1903)

CSP:  Giving to the word *sign* the full scope that reasonably belongs to
it for logical purposes, a whole book is a sign; and a translation of it is
a replica of the same sign. (EP 2:303; 1904)

There is only one word (as a Type), *independent *of any particular
language or other Sign System, that corresponds to "the" (as a Replica) in
written English.  "Der" or "die" or "das" in written German, and "el" or
"la" in written Spanish, are Replicas of the *same* Sign; besides the
different spelling, the gender aspect pertains strictly to those different
Sign Systems, not to the Sign itself as a Type.

Likewise, spoken English (or German or Spanish) is a different Sign System
from written English (or German or Spanish), even though translating
between them is much more direct than doing so between different
languages.  That is why an e-mail exchange does not necessarily communicate
the same message as a phone conversation using identical words, and a
face-to-face discussion can convey something else again.  An even stronger
proof is the fact that someone can be--and many people throughout history
have been--fluent in hearing/speaking their native language, yet completely
incapable of reading/writing it.

GF:  The footprint I saw in the mud just now is not a replica of any other
sign or a Token of any Type.

Again, I strongly disagree.  My first Peirce quote above continues as
follows.

CSP:  It is the same with a diagram or picture. It is the same with a
physical sign or symptom. If two weathercocks are different signs, it is
only in so far as they refer to different parts of the air. A representamen
which should have a unique embodiment, incapable of repetition, would not
be a representamen, but a part of the very fact represented. This
repetitory character of the representamen involves as a consequence that it
is essential to a representamen that it should contribute to the
determination of another representamen distinct from itself. For in what
sense would it be true that a representamen was repeated if it were not
capable of determining some different representamen? (CP 5.138, EP 2:203;
1903)

The simple fact that you *interpreted* what you saw in the mud to *be* a
footprint entails that an *Instance *of a Sign occurred at that
moment--i.e., a Token of a Type--because it determined *another* Instance
of a Sign, your subsequent thought, as its Dynamic Interpretant.  Such
an Instance
of a Sign is not *itself* a Sign, any more than an instance of a law of
nature is *itself *a law of nature.  Moreover, the impression in the mud
must have possessed certain significant characters (Tones) that facilitated
your *recognition *of it as a footprint, and thus as a Replica of a Sign
(Type).  Otherwise, it would have been merely "a part of the very fact
represented" by your thought about it, not a Sign *at all*.

GF:  The fact that we have a general concept of “footprint” does not
constitute an *analysis* of that sign in the mud, or indeed of any genuine

Why not?  Please elaborate.  I still cannot come up with an example of a
genuine Index or other Sinsign (per the 1903 taxonomy) that *cannot* be
analyzed as an embodiment (Replica) of a Type.  Perhaps this is just a
failure of imagination on my part, but I apparently need someone to spell
it out for me if I am wrong about this.

GF:  I just don’t see how such repurposing of Peirce’s terms contributes
anything but confusion to the understanding of signs today.

The intent is not to "repurpose" Peirce's terms, but to *clarify *them by
carefully distinguishing the Sign itself as a Type, which has a General
Object and Final Interpretant; an Instance of the Sign as an *occurrence*,
which has a Dynamic Object and Dynamic Interpretant; and a Replica of the
Sign as an *embodiment* within a particular Sign System, which has an
Immediate Object and Immediate Interpretant.  I do not deny, and in fact
readily acknowledge, that Peirce himself variously referred to *all *of
these as "signs" in his writings; so perhaps an alternative is to concede
that "Sign" encompasses all three, but then use "Type" for the governing
Entelechy, "Instance" for each occurrence, and "Replica" for each
embodiment.  I would rather adopt "Token" for one of the latter two, but
unfortunately (from my perspective) Peirce defined that term as
encompassing *both* of them.

CSP:  A Single event which happens once and whose identity is limited to
that one happening [Instance] or a Single object or thing which is in some
single place at any one instant of time [Replica], such event or thing
being significant only as occurring just when and where it does
[Instance], such as this or that word on a single line of a single page of
a single copy of a book [Replica], I will venture to call a *Token*. (CP
4.537; 1906, bracketed insertions mine)

Differentiating embodied Replicas from occurring Instances is thus a bit of
a departure from *Peirce's *Speculative Grammar, but I personally find it
illuminating and still consider it to fall within the parameters of a
legitimately *Peircean *Speculative Grammar.  Of course, as the saying goes
these days, your mileage may vary.