Auke, Edwina, Dan, List,

Auke wrote:

AvB: I shifted from the production of objects made in arts to personal
development and from there to interactions. Resulting in the application of
a semiotically grounded method for conflict resolving in an educational
setting,
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-642-55355-4_3.pdf   (it
is of wider use, I extended the model and used it in a commercial domain).

I find your semiotically grounded work for conflict resolution in and
beyond educational settings of considerable interest. Much of my college
teaching in a philosophy department, of especially creative and critical
thinking, centered on the application of Peirce's semeiotic (and especially
his pragmatism) to conflict resolution, problem solving, etc. But in
workshops and papers I have also addressed its application to other
matters, for example, interoperability in the use of internet technology
here:
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/richmond/InteropArisbe.pdf

My friend and colleague, Aldo de Moor (with whom I co-authored a paper
along with Mary Keeler), also used Peircean principles in developing his
consulting firm, CommunitySense
https://www.communitysense.nl
many of these principles gleaned from his years of attending John
Sowa's/Mary Keeler's ICCS conferences, listening to, reading and writing
papers, giving and auditing talks, and organizing and participating in
seminars either about or related to Peirce's work. For a time he was quite
actively using Sowa's Conceptual Graphs (built on Peirce's EGs) in his
work. With all this in mind, I'm going to forward your paper to him, Auke.
You continued:

AvB: For example, everybody reading the Springer *Quality of service* text
will see that I am inspired by Gary R’s Trikonic, which I class as
theoretical.  Without that work I would never have imagined to try to
incorporate it in my application. It proved gold because it enables me to
have participants in my method explicate their position in such a way that
contestants in a conflict can compare their differences in a systematic
way.

I'm gratified that my Trikonic inspired your work. Occasionally I'll
receive an off-list note or link telling me how that work is being used in
a context I'd never imagined it being used in (although tricategorial
thinking by its very nature ought to be, in my view, applicable to any
number of fields).

So, I agree with you, Edwina, and Dan that, as Dan wrote:

DE: Always the point was to use his ideas to do empirical work.

And as Auke somewhat metaphorically wrote:

AvB: ". . .in the end, it must be the fruit of application that proves the
worth of the tree.

Or as Edwina put it, Peirce's pragmatism concerns:

ET: ". . .the powerful functionality of his analytic framework when used in
examining and explaining our real world, its operation and our interactions
with that world. :

Yet, as I see it, there remains considerable work yet remaining for
developing and explicating Peirce's theories and this includes refining, as
it were, with an eye especially to its pragmatic use, his terminology.
After all, as Auke just wrote:

AvB: . . .one pins down an conceptual infrastructure with the help of
‘terms and their relationship’.

And, while I found Dan's overgrown beanstalk metaphor spot on, I would tend
to strongly agree with Auke's conclusion regarding Peirce's terminology.

AvB: . . . I like to be able to inspect that framework as to its build [I
take this to mean, "how it's constructed"?] and for that I find the
technical term distinctions that Peirce made very inspiring. / / / The
focus is on the understanding of semiosis, the tools are the technical
terms.  Its good to keep inspecting and comparing ones tools.

As I've repeatedly said in this forum over the years, it seems to me that
there is no good reason why work in one should exclude work in the other;
that is, there is no reason why the development of theory (I, for example,
am very interested in the possible development of Peirce's phenomenology
and technical terminology will most certainly play a part in that) and
practice (as suggested by the examples Auke, Dan, and Edwina offered) can't
operate side by side if not quite hand in hand. In my opinion hostility to
one or ignoring one are equally unwise because finally unbalanced. While it
may be necessary to concentrate on one and not the other at any given time
(and this is something Peirce strongly suggested and was, indeed, his
practice), in my view both are essential.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*