}Gary R, thanks for your response. I know you try to mediate and
smooth out differences among the posters and I know it's not easy.

        But Jon didn't say that "  [everyone] should be allowed to read and
interpret Peirce's work on their own." After all, that doesn't set up
what is clearly required by him - an "accurate understanding of
Peirce's work ". Who defines what is 'accurate'?

        And he wrote:" Newcomers to Peirce should first be made aware of
Peirce's own analytic frame, including his typically very precise
terminology." Who holds the content of this 'accurate and precise
information' - and provides it to newcomers who thus are not allowed
to interpret Peirce on their own but must FIRST accept an authorized
'analytic frame' and 'very precise terminology'.

        The Final Interpretant/Truth may not be reached - and we can't
assume that we hold it, firmly and accurately, in our control and we
can't ask that newcomers accept our views as the FI.

        By the way - Auke's image of the three women - is a nice one!

        Edwina
 On Tue 02/04/19 12:05 AM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, Jon, List,
 Jon quoted Edwina, then quoted her again as response to her
question:
  ET:  ... who do you think should be the authorities who decide on,
as you say, what is 'an accurate understanding of Peirce's work'?
 JAS: You answered your own question ...
 ET:  ... don't you think that they should be allowed to read and
interpret Peirce's work on their own[?]
 Edwina, I think you misinterpreted Jon's response. You wrote:
 JAS: "  ... who do you think should be the authorities who decide
on, as you say, what is 'an accurate understanding of Peirce's work'?
         ET: No- I didn't answer this question and I've no idea why you
wrote this. ET: I asked YOU to answer it
 Jon was merely saying that the answer to your question "who do you
'an accurate understanding of Peirce's work'?  " was, as you wrote: "
[everyone] should be allowed to read and interpret Peirce's work on
their own."
 And that is all.
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication Studies LaGuardia
College of the City University of New York