Dan, list,

Thank you for underscoring method.

With regard to method (light of the pragmatic maxim), Peirce gave us
different statements of the maxim,

even saying of one that it is in the form of a philosophical theorem and
that he has succeeded no better than that.

I also recall some other philosopher saying that there would be need of
*habituation* to see the things higher up,

so as to distinguish such from appearances.

And this is necessary because the transition for us would be rough.

Given this, then, to which statement were you referring when you said:

I simply mean to underscore method.

Not who might be correct on the terminology.

I always learn from these discussions.

For I see method here being applied but if we were to judge them by their
fruits, as members say we do,

then the fruits have so far, been rotten.

Moreover, when you call for underscoring of method, I interpret that as
saying,

‘let us consciously adopt the method’.

If, on the other hand, you say that any one of his different statements of
his ‘maxim of logic’ will serve just as well as any other,

then that surely would affirm Peirce as a perfect ignoramus when it comes
to esthetics.

And of course he is, for does he not say so?  Several times over, even?

With best wishes,
Jerry R

In order to be admitted to better philosophical standing

I have endeavored to put pragmatism as I understand it into the same form
of a philosophical theorem.

I have not succeeded any better than this: