Jeff, List:

I am not sure whether you saw my response below to your post on Thursday;
but in any case, I would like to expand on the EG that I provided in a
Interpretants.  At that time, I was emphasizing that an Interpretant
*always *has the *same *Object as the Sign that determines it; i.e., there
is *never *a case where Interpretant C has a *different *Object from Sign
A, so there is no reason to posit some *other *Object D.  What I would like
to point out now is the *termination *of semeiosis at some eventual
Interpretant--in this case, G--that is a Feeling, an Exertion, or a Habit,
rather than another Sign.

[image: image.png]

Presenting this as an EG helpfully clarifies that it includes only the
*existential *aspects of semeiosis--a *Dynamic *Object determining
*Instances *of Signs to determine *Dynamic *Interpretants.  We can better
represent this "flow of causation" by replacing the relation of
*mediating *with
that of *determining*, as I suggested on Friday.  Again, the key is
treating the latter as *irreducibly triadic*, rather than
dyadic--consistent with Peirce's definition (and emphasis) that a Sign "is
both determined by the object relatively to the interpretant, and
determines the interpretant in reference to the object, in such wise as to
cause the interpretant to be determined by the object through the mediation
of this 'sign'" (EP 2:410; 1907).

[image: image.png]

We now read the EG *clockwise *as "Object B stands in the relation of
determining, of Sign Instance A, to Interpretant Instance C," and so on.
A, C, and E are all *Tokens*, and thus Existents (green/italic).  B is the
Dynamic Object of *all three* of these, but need not be an Existent *in
itself*; it could instead be a Possible (red/bold) or a Necessitant
(blue/underline).  Likewise, although G is another Dynamic Interpretant,
the *nature *of each kind of effect--a Feeling, an Exertion, or a
Habit--situates it within a *different *Universe.

This highlights a problematic aspect of Peirce's Speculative Grammar as
recorded in the late December 1908 draft letters to Lady Welby.  If the
division according to the Mode of Being of the Dynamic Object comes *first *in
the logical order of determination (EP 2:481), and the Dynamic Object is a
Possible, then the Sign must likewise be classified as a Possible according
to *all of the other nine trichotomies*.  For example, the Sign itself
would have to be a Tone or Mark; but this is untenable, because it would
entail that a word in *either *of the two senses that Peirce repeatedly
employed--as one Type in a written language, or as multiple Tokens on a
page--*cannot *represent a quality, which is clearly false.

In fact, Peirce himself explicitly classified the *words *"Color, Mass,
Whiteness" as Abstractives, meaning that their Dynamic Objects are
Possibles; but then just two paragraphs later, he stated that "an
Abstractive must be a Mark, while a Type must be a Collective" (EP 2:489).
Again, this does not work, since *all *words are either Types or Tokens,
and *never *mere Tones or Marks.  Moreover, as Peirce commented ten years
earlier, "To belong as unit to a collection and to possess as a quality are
substantially the same relation" (R 513:30; 1898); so what he called a
Collective is really an Abstractive, especially once the constituents of
the *third *Universe are identified as Intentions and Tendencies.

In other words, I have come to believe that *this *is a case where Peirce
got it wrong--although, to be fair, we find it in correspondence that he
never actually *sent*, suggesting dissatisfaction with at least some of
their contents.  My guess is that he was still trying to hash it all out in
his own mind as he was writing--something that I often have in common with
him.

Regards,

Jon S.